Monument to Poltava fortress commandant A. S. Kelyn
Colonel Kelyn was a commandant of the fortress during January-June 1709.
In 1909, in presence of Emperor Nicolas II, there was exposed a monument to the commandant and other defenders, at place of former fortress Mazurovsky bastion. The author of the monument project was general major baron A. Bylderling (1846-1912) — the head of the Battle bicentenary celebration preparation commission.
Sculptures of the monument were drawn by A. Byldering and made by famous sculptor-animalist A. Ober (1843-1917). The monument has a shape of a granite obelisk on a pedestal. The obelisk was crowned by natural granite bar with an eagle sitting on it and holding a laurel wreath in its clutches.
On the main pedestal of the monument there is a bronze figure of a lion. On the reverse side of the obelisk there was placed bronze coat of arms of Poltava province. On the front side there was a plate with inscription: «To gallant commandant of Poltava colonel Kelyn and to glorious defenders of the city in 1709. Erected with help of Emperor Nicolas II on 27 June, 1909».
In 1921, the two-headed eagle was demounted. In such conditions the monument existed till the beginning of World War II. During Hitler occupation (1941-1943) the lion and other bronze plates were demounted and brought to Germany. After the war the reconstruction of the lion model was made by main architect of the city L. Vayngort, artist P. Gorobets and local amateur sculptor V. Homa. New inscription appeared — the old one about Erected with help of Emperor Nicolas II on 27 June, 1909″ was skipped. Other lines were in principles of Soviet orthography. The obelisk also was renovated: natural granite bar was demounted. Instead of the old obelisk there was placed three polished granite bars, the upper has a pyramidal edge. Bronze Poltava coat of arms was placed at the front side of the obelisk. Old metal fence, made of cannonballs and lost during the war, war replaced by granite one; old hanging chains, which were connecting the cannonballs, were replaced by more massive chains, lying on the ground.