State Historical and Cultural Reserve The Field of the Great Poltava Battle
Ukr Rus Eng
1709 2009

Redoubts of the Russian army

Right before the Battle of Poltava there was built a chain of 10 redoubts. The line was placed between Yakivchansky and Malobudyshansky forests, crossing the way of Swedish armies. The redoubts had a shape of four-cornered earth fortifications, surrounded by butts (10 ft. high) and trenches (8 ft. depth). Length of each redoubt side was about 164 ft; redoubts were placed at distance 984 ft from each other (one rifle shot).

Before the celebration of the Battle bicentenary, there were placed pyramid-shaped obelisks at places of those redoubts crowned by bronze two-headed eagles (G. Lagorio). In the middle of XIX century cadets reconstructed one of the redoubts, in smaller sizes. Bronze eagles were destroyed during the Civil war. 230 years past after the Battle, in 1939, old concrete obelisks were replaced by new granite (15 ft. high). In 1953 the reconstruction of a redoubt, which was partly destroyed during World War II, was renovated in full sizes.

Created in Fox Web Workshop
Links Exchange
© State Historical and Cultural Reserve
The Field of the Great Poltava Battle