State Historical and Cultural Reserve «The Field of the Great Poltava Battle»
Ukr Rus Eng
1709 2009

Monument to Swedes from their compatriots

A stone for creating this monument (20 ft. high, 7 ft. width, 20 t. weigh) was brought from a quarry of Småland, which belonged to «Swedish granite industry» company. At both sides of the monument were made inscriptions in Swedish and Russian: «In memory of Swedes, fallen here in 1709. Erected by compatriots in 1909». All works under the monument were finished to 2 June 1909. Famous Swedish businessman Emanuel Nobel, who developed oil fields in the Caspian Sea, agreed to care about all needed costs during creating the monument, buying a part of land for erecting the monument and transferring the monument to its place. Sea Company «Odin» transported the monument to Riga; further it was moved to Poltava by train. The monument was placed on right point in few days before the Battle bicentenary celebrations. Around the monument there are 12 cylinder granite piles, connected by chains.

Created in Fox Web Workshop
Links Exchange
© State Historical and Cultural Reserve
«The Field of the Great Poltava Battle»